Friday, April 18, 2008

It's the simple things in life....




A funny thing happened while out on a hike the other day. I was walking along thinking about what a perfect day it was when a butterfly started fluttering along in front of me.

We were about 2 hours into our "Hey, lets stop here and see where that trail goes" hike when the little guy floated my way.

That day the temperature in the Gorge was roughly 74 degrees and there was a cool breeze heading down the mountain. Along the trail there was the constant sound of the nearby creek running downhill toward the Columbia River. Although, the best part was how the sun crept through the trees ahead of us and cast shadows upon mossy covered rocks , the well traveled trail, and the creek below. Sadly though, I found myself thinking about all the troubles at work and other random petty things that wouldn't stop swimming in my head amidst the beauty of it all.

That's when my little friend decided to pay me a visit.

The beauty of the scenery ahead of me made me stop for a moment to take it all in. As I stood there taking it all in the butterfly changed his flight plan and started fluttering toward me. I stood there watching him meander through the air carelessly heading my way. As I focused on that small creature all my troubles seemed to settle back in my mind and the petty issues seemed not to matter for a while.

Then he landed.

Tammy watched from nearby as the butterfly landed on my shoulder. I could not stop grinning, but I had to for the picture. While she took the picture a thought popped into my head so I thought I would share it with you.

"Take the chip from your shoulder and lay it to rest. Instead, replace it with a butterfly."

I'm delighted he stopped by to share that moment with me.

1 comment:

The Palmer family said...

Hey Randy, it's Kami! I didn't know you had a blog. Fun. It's a great way to keep in touch. Well tell the fam hi. We hope all is well. See ya!